Cleaning primary mirror

There is an ASA Manual for mirror cleaning where they tell what to use and how to do it

Ask ASA support for the Manual.

The ASA10N manual tells you how to remove the mirror.

My best advice on cleaning mirrors is DON'T  unless it is absolutely necessary.

No manufacturer will take any responsibility if you damage a mirror while cleaning it.

Mark

Hi,

Im about to clean my ASA 12" mirror and have read the mirror cleaning manual, attached. But have some concern regarding the alcohol.

There seems to be some issue with IPA and aluminum. Await answer from ASA.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/119164-optics-cleaning-with-ipa/

I thing some mirrors are produces by Orion, and some may have som protective coating. 

Cheers,

//Christer

Manual_MirrorCleaning.pdf

I understand that the ASA10 mirrors have a silica coat over the Aluminium. I have used IPA (very pure) with great care after washing, as per the instructions, and have seen no adverse effects.

At all stages of cleaning, it is absolutely critical to avoid any rubbing of the surface.

DAB, DON'T RUB!!!

If there are any small things sticking to the mirror after the washing procedure, leave them. A few little spots are completely inconsequential - a damaged surface is not! 

I would also recommend that you use a detergent with no perfumes, hand softeners etc. And use it well diluted. You'll still need several washes with distilled water to remove all traces of detergent.

Use only distilled water with

And don't touch the mirror with bare fingers at any stage!

Good luck!

Mark

• 6 months later...

So, I can use either:

- pure alcohol
- isopropanol
- acetone

Is that it?

I received the cleaning procedure for the mirrors. I inserted the document in this post just in case.

I think I do a cleaning of the primary and secondary mirror during the summer.

Manual_MirrorCleaning.pdf

Edited by -Amenophis-

• 1 month later...

----- Français -----

Bonjour,

Le miroir (300 mm) avait deux ans.

Ici les problèmes viennent :

• De la poussière de schiste de la plantation d'avocatiers, de manguiers, d'oliviers ;

• Du pollen de ces arbres ;

• Des araignées qui tissent leur toile à l'intérieur du tube ;

• Des papillons nocturnes qui viennent s'y installer pour la journée ;

• De l'incendie qui a ravagé l'autre versant de la colline, juste après la livraison L du télescope ;

• La condensation matinale finie par coller le tout sur le miroir…

J'ai suivi la notice AstroSysteme pour le nettoyage, avec quelques détails supplémentaires amenés par l'expérience :

• Eau désionisée 2.5 l ;

• Alcool isopropylique 1 l ;

• Faire quelques photos, afin de comparer AVANT et APRES, et en particulier l'étiquette latérale qui indique la focale réelle mesurée par le polisseur du miroir. Sur une de celles-ci on peut lire diam = 298 mm, et focale 1132 mm.

• Repérer aussi la position du miroir par rapport à sa cage de maintien, afin de ne pas avoir à toucher aux réglages des six vis latérale en nylon ;

• Ce miroir, de 300 mm, a été totalement démonté puis posé en pente sur la table de la terrasse ;

• Le temps était ensoleillé, mais le vent s'est levé en rafales dès que le miroir était mouillé (il faut regarder la météo avant donc) ;

• La première opération est nettoyer l'arrière du miroir, et sa tranche, afin que cette crasse ne revienne pas ensuite salir la face avant ; il fallait le vivre pour le comprendre J

• Pendant l'aspersion du miroir avec de l'eau et du Teepol, il faut détremper, puis attendre 5mn que tout ramollisse, ensuite arroser de nouveau et observer l'eau qui s'écoule en bas miroir. Au début c'est assez "chargé", puis l'eau redevient transparente avec simplement de nombreuses bulles J

• Il est alors temps de commencer à poser des feuilles de papier absorbant en aspergeant beaucoup, attendre, puis les décoller et les jeter. Rincer franchement, recommencer.

• Il ne faut pas tenter d'enlever tous les défauts, l'amélioration de l'image serait infinitésimale, et les risques trop sévères par contre ; donc accepter l'imperfection ; Pour moi c'était des débris de l'incendie avec du goudron qui sont venus vers le télescope une semaine après l'incendie. Je n'y ai pas touché ; Peut-être l'acétone serait plus adaptée pour dissoudre les goudrons ?

• Ensuite, les lingettes en microfibres nécessaires à la finition du travail sont tellement plus jolies de toutes les couleurs chez Amazon. Mais afin d'éviter une crise cardiaque il vaut mieux les laver (à la main) avant usage, afin qu'elle "dégorgent" leur couleur. Sinon on voit des filets colorés traverser le miroir tout propre.

• Il faut quand même détremper les lingettes avant usage. Donc ne pas utiliser une lingette lavée mais sèche, en pensant qu'elle absorbera plus… rayures possibles alors, car la lingette est "raide" ;

• Enfin, avec un papier absorbant, aspirer le bourrelet liquide d'alcool isopropylique qui s'accumule par gravité en bas miroir. Il suffit de le toucher sur la tranche du miroir pour qu'il disparaisse aussitôt. Ce n'est jamais rassurant de voir une lame liquide s'évaporer progressivement, en laissant éventuellement une marque.

• Remettre le miroir dans sa cage. Les trois pattes de maintien supérieur sont simplement posées sur le miroir, et maintenu légèrement avec un doigt de la main pendant le serrage de ses deux vis. Avant cette intervention, les pattes de maintien avaient une distance de 1 à 2 mm de jeu par rapport au miroir, et celui-ci faisait "Clong !" quand il basculait avec la monture. Maintenant ça va mieux…

Comme mon explication est traduite avec DeepL tu peux la corriger en bon anglais, et la republier ici. Si certains veulent le faire en espagnol ce serait généreux aussi :)

----- (english) -----

Hello,

The mirror (300 mm) was two years old.

Here problems come:

- Shale dust from the planting of avocado trees, mango trees, olive trees;

- Pollen from these trees;

- Spiders weaving their web inside the tube;

- Butterflies that come to settle there for the day;

- The fire that devastated the other side of the hill, just after the telescope was delivered;

- The morning condensation ends up sticking it all on the mirror....

I followed the AstroSysteme PDF instructions for cleaning, with some additional details brought by the experience:

• Deionized water 2.5 l ;

• Isopropyl alcohol 1 l ;

• Take a few pictures, in order to compare FORWARD and AFTER, and in particular the side label that indicates the actual focal length measured by the mirror polisher. On one of these we can read diam = 298 mm, and focal length 1132 mm.

• Also locate the position of the mirror in relation to its holding cage, so as not to have to touch the adjustments of the six nylon side screws;

• This 300 mm mirror was completely dismantled and placed on the terrace table on a slope;

• The weather was sunny, but the wind gusted up as soon as the mirror got wet (so you have to look at the weather beforehand);

• The first operation is to clean the back of the mirror, and its edge, so that this dirt does not then come back to dirty the front face; you had to live it to understand it

• When spraying the mirror with water and Teepol, soak, then wait 5 minutes for everything to soften, then water again and observe the water flowing down the mirror. At first it is quite "loaded", then the water becomes transparent again with just many bubbles

• It is then time to start putting down sheets of absorbent paper by spraying a lot, wait, then take them off and throw them away. Rinse thoroughly, repeat.

• We must not try to remove all the defects, the improvement of the image would be infinitesimal, and the risks too severe on the other hand; therefore accept the imperfection; for me it was debris from the fire with tar that came to the telescope one week after the fire. I didn't touch it; maybe acetone would be better suited to dissolve tars?

• Then, the microfibre wipes needed to finish the job are so much prettier in all colours at Amazon. But in order to avoid a heart attack it is better to wash them (by hand) before use, so that they "bleed" their colour. Otherwise we see colored threads going through the mirror all clean.

• It is still necessary to soak the wipes before use. So do not use a washed but dry wipe, thinking that it will absorb more... possible scratches then, because the wipe is "stiff";

• Finally, with absorbent paper, vacuum up the liquid isopropyl alcohol bead that accumulates by gravity in the bottom mirror. Just touch it on the edge of the mirror and it disappears immediately. It is never reassuring to see a liquid blade gradually evaporate, possibly leaving a mark.

• Put the mirror back in its cage. The three upper holding tabs are simply placed on the mirror, and held slightly with one finger of the hand while tightening its two screws. Before this procedure, the holding legs had a distance of 1 to 2 mm of clearance from the mirror, and the mirror made "Clong !" when it tipped with the mount. Now it's better....

As my explanation is translated with DeepL you can correct it in good English, and republish it here. If some people want to do it in Spanish it would be generous too:)

:)  Fabrice  :)

Bonus : Spanish telescope in Sierra Nevada used, with others in the world, to shot the first "black hole".

wp_20110.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Merci beaucoup pour ton message et tuto très détaillé. C'est sympa :) 

Dernières questions : 

- l'alcool isopropyl tu l'utilise à la fin en pulvérisant sur les lingettes ? 

- L'autocollant pour la collimation au centre du miroir reste collé après toutes ces étapes ? 

---------------------------------------

Thank you very much. 

Last questions:

- isopropyl alcohol you use it at the end by spraying on the wipes?

- The sticker for collimation in the center of the mirror remains stuck after all these steps?

----- Français -----

L'alcool isopropylique ne nettoie pas, il ne sert qu'à remplacer l'eau au moment du séchage. Il est pulvérisé (en grande quantité) directement sur le miroir. Après, tout sèche et c'est terminé.

La marque centrale n'est pas collée, ce soit être un dépôt d'encre par sérigraphie, ou bien un gravage au sable ou à l'acide fluorhydrique. Cette marque n'est pas altérée par le nettoyage.

----- English -----

Isopropyl alcohol does not clean, it is only used to replace water during drying. It is sprayed (in large quantities) directly on the mirror. Then, everything dries up and it's over.

The central mark is not glued, it is either an ink deposit by screen printing, or a sand or hydrofluoric acid engraving. This mark is not altered by cleaning.