GPS connection

LucMurphy

Good evening fellow ASAer,

I recently got a an issue with the GPS USB dongle. Autoslew is no longer "seeing" the GPS.

The GPS sensor and Virtual Com port are both visible in Device Manager. To make sure it wasn't a driver issue, I downloaded the latest drivers from u-blox. I run Autoslew 5247 and Window 10.

Anyone got a similar issue and have an idea?

Luc

Hi Luc,

The following may be irrelevant in your case, but for what it's worth:

I assume the Comport assignment in Autoslew matches the assignment in Device Manager, and that the GPS Comport is on (box in Autoslew Comports Window is ticked).

Trivial I know but worth checking.

I have had issues with the GPS plugged directly into my laptop. Using a relatively short (2m) heavily shielded USB connector cured the problem!!!  Using a longer unshielded lead caused it to fail again....go figure! And the same happened with a second GPS.

Good luck,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Not a trivial question at all actually but stranger than your answer suggests. The comport assigned to the virtual port device in Device Manager is not visible in Autoslew! (for completeness, the virtual port device is needed because the GPS can't talk directly program that communicate trhoug comport like Autoslew). Device manager also sees the GPS sensor (under the sensor grou). 

I had the same issue as you for connecting directly to the latop, but in my latest trails, both configurations (direct to laptop and usb connector) were tried. Although my usb cable was not heavily shielded. I will try that.

Thanks

Luc

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry Robert  I don't remember.  And even it were yesterday, I probably coudn't tell what exactly did work. I uninstall/reinstall multiple the gps and virtural port drivers, i reverted back to an earlier version au autoslew, re-install it, try multiple usb port, tried another laptop that had the exact same system image, and other stuff i don't remember, it just started to work again...

I hope you found it.

Stay healthy

Luc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I was suffering from similar problems, my "Sorgenkind" was the focuser. I had to realize, that setting up (installing) the devices (mount, FW, CDD, GPS, focuser) when they are plugged-in the computer (either directly or via a hub) and removed again leave, from time to time, "zombie" COM-ports behind, which are normally not visible in the hardware manager. 

Here is a link to a page in the www (unfortunately in german) where this phenomenon AND its cure is described:

https://serielleschnittstelle.de/index.php/zusatzinformationen/tipps-und-tricks/zombie-schnittstellen-entfernen.html

Since I do not have a permanently installed mount, I must plug and unplug my devices to my computer when the mount installed in front of my garage - and from time to time, COM ports were left behind which screwed the whole system - GPS was not recognized, focuser (old OK3) was not found and did lead to error message of USB-port problem.

After making the invisible and left-behind COM-ports visible, and after removing them as described in the link, everything works as expected...

Hope this helps,

Christian