New user of DDM 85A

deepsouthernskies

Question

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up the ASA DDM85A for the first time and have found the hardware manual not adequately explaining some initial pre-requisites before powering on.

I want to add my OTA and do a rough balancing before using AutoSlew for precise balancing. There are no details given in the manual as to how to engage/disengage the clutches. At the moment, the counterweight shaft swings freely while the DEC plate is locked, i.e., the RA clutch is disengaged and the Dec clutch is engaged.

I have also been advised that the clutches should be disengaged before powering on. This is not mentioned in either the h/w manual or the AutoSlew manual.

Regarding the power cable for the mount, I do not have the cable as shown in the manual with two leads (red and black) for connecting to the AC/DC adapter. Instead I have a (12V rated) cable with 4 leads (please see attached image). Can I safely ignore the two Ground leads?

Any user willing to be patient with me while I get to grips with this mount would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Al

post-16280-0-45286300-1581725382_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

The cable you have should be ok and connected with power DC, the first connector from the left on the mount.

Connect red to plus and black to minus 12V Just connect the banana plugs red to red and black to black and then to the power supply

Edited by Waldemar

Thanks for that. I will try the 12V cable but will endeavour to get the correct one if I can.

I was also suppplied with a 48V power cable as well. This surely must be a mistake.

You mentioned you have some older ASA files. Any information would be useful for me as I learn about this system.

I am coming from the SW Bisque Paramount so a mount with absolute encoders is very new to me.

Al

The second cable is the one that fits the GALV connector on the mount and is used for auxiliary equipment like camera, filter wheel, or whatever.

That connection corresponds with the connector on the DEC plate via through the mount cabling.

The difference is not about the absolute encoders... the whole system is different. You need to forget what you learned about the mount you had before.

This is a new chapter. Just do not assume you already know, for you don't ...

Read the file thoroughly and do as it says.

Sorry if this sounds rude... 

If you pm me your email address, I will send a bundle of files with WeTransfer if you like.

Edited by Waldemar