ASA park position

DaveS

Question

In the manual for the DDM85 it says that the "Park 1" position can be changed, and shows how, but also advises not to as it can be used to synch to the zenith (I think I've understood this correctly).

However, at the moment my ODK12 doesn't have an automated cover, so parking with the OTA pointing to the zenith leaves the mirror open to anything falling on it, even with the observatory roof closed so I have to go out to put the cover on manually at the end of a session, limiting my imaging time.

Therefore I was wondering if there is any real reason why I should not change the "Park 1" position to have the OTA horizontal and pointing South? If I do change the position is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in adcvance.

7 answers to this question

Thanks Mark, I was thinking that Park 1 was special so will leave it as is.

Now to RTFM to see how to tell Autolew to use Park 2 as default, as I need it to park in a position I can leave it without worrying about anything falling onto the mirror.

Well, I've RTFM, and looked in Autoslew and Sequence, and still can't find where to set Park 2 as the default. so it may have to wait until I can get an auto cover. There goes another £800 that I'd rather not spend.

Sort of on-topic follow up questions...

Is sequence using Park1 position as default when closing a sequence?

I have problems when parking close to 180 degrees S and keeping the CW bar pointing east, I have to set it to 179 degrees.
Even if i set my settings to let the mount pass the meridian with 5 degrees, it won't park my scope at 180 degrees without doing a flip so that the CW bar is pointing west instead.. Anyone know why?

/Daniel

As far as I can tell it does use Park 1.

Although I tried setting the OTA horizontal Autoslew didn't like it, firstly refusing to lay the OTA horizontal as it was below the limit, secondly I was getting position errors on startup.

I've reset the OTA to the zenith for the time being.