Is my GSC 1.1 data file corrupted?

MikePaling

Question

Hi ...

When I try to use Autofocus or Plate Solve in Sequence I keep getting an error message suggesting that my GSC 11 file is possibly corrupted and I am unable to move forward. Or is my file "out of date" ????

Has anybody else had this problem?

Is it just a matter of uninstalling and reinstalling the folder to my C drive????

Mike

25 answers to this question

Hi Robert ..

Thanks for taking time to reply to my query.

Since I posted my message I eventually discovered that the CGS11 folder was completely empty! ... I have no idea how this happened! So I decided to take the plunge after locating my original GSC11 installer .... and  reinstalled it all onto my C Drive without any problems.

I am pleased to say that I am now able to do plate solving and Autopointing .. but alas ..... I am having trouble getting Autofocus to work 😞   I think that maybe some of my settings in the Autofocus screen might need adjusting .... I don't see why my previous problem with the GSC1.1 files should be causing this problem.

If I continue to get an error massage when I next try to use Autofocus .... can I send you a copy of the error message for you to check out???? I would be very helpful to have a second opinion.

Can I ask a second question? .... when my current version of Sequence ( v 0.2.1.2 ) eventually works 100% correctly I will be more than happy to continue with it. However I see that Phillpp Keller has recently put up a new short video of a new version of Sequence ( v0.2.1.3 ) .... do you know if this version will work on my DDM60 Pro which does not have absolute encoders?

Regards

Mike

On 12/30/2022 at 5:10 PM, robertp said:

Hello Mike,

can you post the exact error message? I tried platesolving yesterday using the old GSC 11 catalog that I downloaded years ago and it worked without any problems.

Best regards,

Robert

Hello again Robert ..

I have just tried to use Autofocus in Sequence again and I keep getting the same error message despite trying new settings in the Autoslew setup screen.

I am attaching two screen shots showing what I am getting.

The Plate solve routine works fine so this shows that the GSC 1.1 folder on my C drive is OK.

Do you ( or anybody else who has any suggestions ) have any suggestions of how I can put things right?

For the present I am able to use the "V curve" routing in MaximDL for setting my focus pretty accurately .... so I am able to do imaging runs in Sequence without doing using the Autofocus routine.

Mike

Sequence Autosave screen 1.jpg

Sequence Autosave screen 2.jpg

Sorry for basic question but I'm a little confused if it's the AF routine in Sequence is the problem or if it's the AF routine in MaximDL that's the issue. You mentioned that you can run the V-Curve routine in MaximDL but the error message you're getting is from MaximDL's AF routine?

Just to start from scratch, can you double-check you hadn't lost your focuser's ASCOM setting in Sequence :

image.thumb.png.cf436ac6769c2d90c1d5cb94aed18373.png

And in MaximDL?

627364758_Screenshot2023-01-03at11_35_40am.thumb.png.e739779d0299cc13a6ae8ffe6377006a.png940420354_Screenshot2023-01-03at11_36_36am.thumb.png.7a25205c2c125a890431baeda6da7933.png

Edited by AnakChan

Hello Mike,

I get the same error message in case the ascom-settings in Sequence are not identical to the settings in MaximDL. Can you please verify that the settings are identical? If so, could you please try whether you also get the error message in case you do not have the focuser connected in MaximDL?

I guess you could do those tests even when it's cloudy by using the "Simulator" within the camera-setup of MaximDL.

Best regards,

Robert

As a late-comer to this thread, I don't understand the problem.

I use three different focusers (AAF3/ACC, Microtouch, FLI Atlas) in my various set-ups, all  of which use the standard ASA software system (Autoslew, Sequence, MaximDL).

In these set-ups, MaximDL settings have no information whatever about focusers. Maxim gets its camera settings from whatever camera I'm using, and telescope data from Sequence (I'm not sure it needs it). The focuser is chosen in the Sequence settings as per the manual - and the directions in the Sequence prompts.  

I've never seen these error messages, and Sequence AF always works once the correct parameters are entered into the AF Settings boxes.

Is it possible that the problems you are experiencing are due to some unwanted interactions between Maxim and Sequence introduced by the unneeded settings?

Mark

15 hours ago, robertp said:

Hello Mike,

I get the same error message in case the ascom-settings in Sequence are not identical to the settings in MaximDL. Can you please verify that the settings are identical? If so, could you please try whether you also get the error message in case you do not have the focuser connected in MaximDL?

I guess you could do those tests even when it's cloudy by using the "Simulator" within the camera-setup of MaximDL.

Best regards,

Robert

Thank for your suggestion Robert ... and also comments from Anak and Mark. As far as I know there is no mismatch in my Ascom settings in Maxim and Sequence are identical.

I have come to the conclusion that my "personal settings/config file" in Sequence is corrupted in some way.

The weather forecast for tonight looks as if it might have some clear periods ... my plan is to delete the current config file and reset all settings in Sequence in the hope that this will sort out my problems.

Either way I will report back.

Regards Mike

The sky was reasonably clear last night and I deleted my "Personal settings/config " file in Sequence and reset all settings.

Plate solving still works ... but I am still getting an error message when I try to use Autofocus 😞 I didn't get the chance to experiment with the start & final box window as the clouds can rushing in.

I am attaching the new Personal Settings/Config file for Sequence and also the Error log from last night.

Are there any clues as to what I might be doing wrong?

Mike

2023_1_4_19h23m.txt Sequence.ini

The following may be worth chasing up:

I don't know if you are using Readout Modes, but in any event your Sequence.ini line "Readout Mode of CCD during Focusing =  -1" (under [Autofocus Settings]) looks wrong. If you are not using readout modes the Readout Mode should be "0".

"-1" makes no sense to me at all. Check your CCD Settings in Sequence. I hope this helps.

Mark

Edited by MarkS

Hi Mike,

I just compared your sequence.ini to mine. I agree with Mark, that "Readout Mode of CCD during Focusing =  -1" looks very suspicious. I would suggest that you set it to 0 and see what's happening.

Under [Scheduler] the "Quantity of Readoutmodes offered by the CCD (how many)=0", so I guess you should also try to set "Dont set readoutmodes=True" (at the moment, yours is set to "false").

But before doing that, I would propose that you try to change you ascom-settings in the "current location and hardware" window. You currently use the ASCOM.FocusLynx.Focuser directly. I would suggest to switch that to the DeviceHub.focuser and connect your focuser via the DeviceHub. If you also need to connect your focuser from within MaximDL, then do it there via the DeviceHub as well.

I once experienced a corrupt sequence.ini about a year ago shortly after updating Sequence from verison 2.1.1 to 2.1.3 and also had a hard time to get everything running again. Therefore I recommend to do a backup of the "personal settings" directory from time to time. If I remember correctly, I finally switched back to Sequence version 2.1.1. to get everything running again.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress,

Robert

Thanks for your input Mark and Robert .... I can see what you are getting at .....

But I am now starting to pull my hair out!!!!

I have just spent some time seeing if I can do something about the "CCD readout modes" in Sequence .... and look at what I am seeing. There is a hole where the readout modes should be displayed!!!

Where do I go from here?

Mike

Missing part from Sequence CCD screen.jpg

2 hours ago, MarkS said:

Tick the "Don't Use Readout Modes" box in CCD settings dialogue, Apply and Save - you must do both.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark

I have done this Mark ... the "Readout Mode of CCD during Focusing" now no longer shows up in the Personal settings .... so fingers crossed for the next bout of testing if I can get Autofocus to work. However the weather forecast here look very poor for the next week or so 😞

Incidentally the 4 icon boxes on the CCD screen are still missing as seen on the last screen shot that I posted ... I am assuming that this does not matter one jot at the moment.

Mike

Hi Mike,

you can also edit the settings in the ini-file directly and then start Sequence. Have you considered setting the CCD-camera to "Simulator" in MaximDL and test whether you still get the error message? Doing so you do not have to wait for clear skies.

Robert

Hi Mike,

one more thing: do you start MaximDL manually or does it get started by Sequence when you click on "connect"? There might be a communication problem between Sequence and MaximDL, so maybe it is worth trying both options (they should both work).

Robert

Mike,

I am surprised that the "Readoutmode during focusing" line disappears when you set the dialog box to 0. I am using version 211 - maybe that's the difference? All my Sequence.ini files contain that line. Also, the CCD Dialog in 211 looks different from your screen shot - see enclosed screenshot.

I never bothered with 212 or 213 because the changes didn't appear to be relevant to my setup. I also note that 211 is the version on my latest download from ASA of all the documentation relevant to my equipment.

Also, if you haven't got the document Sequence200 you should download it and follow the instructions carefully to check you have everything correct.

Mark

Screenshot 2023-01-07 085801.jpg

I have now tried everything that has been suggested ( and more ) and I am still unable to get the Autofocus system or the "V curve" system in Sequence ( v 0.2.1.2 ). It has briefly crossed my mind to take up knitting instead of Astro photography!

Maybe my copy of Sequence ( v 0.2.1.2 ) is slightly corrupted on some way and I need to do a complete "clean" installation. However I am unable to find my original installation file.

I have just sent a message to ASA HQ asking if they can help me by supplying a replacement installation file. In the past I was able to access the ASA support area very easily to access any support items ... but they now seem to have changed their system. I can log into the site but my DDM60 Pro is not linked to their system correctly at the minute and I cannot access any support items. I really do hope that they can help me here.

Mike

I am more than pleased that my various problems look as if they are solved :-))))

Sequence that been restored back to v2.1.1. and all settings have been re-done ... and after three testing runs all seems to work OK now .... much to my relief!

I don't think I will ever get around to trying to update Sequence in any way again ..... I still have no idea why Sequence should screw itself up after an update.

Thanks to all who have tried to help me with my problems

Regards Mike

Hi Mike,

great to hear that you're back in business. As I also experienced problems with Sequence 2.1.3 and had to go back to 2.1.1 to resolve them, there might be a problem with that release. It also seems not to be available for download anymore.

clear skies,

Robert