Cleaning corrector lens

w0mbat

Hi Ian,

I use a lens cleaning solution produced by Visible Dust for general cleaning of such surfaces. The important thing is to soften the deposit before trying to remove it. You may find that dabbing - NOT RUBBING - with a wet cotton buds will enable you to lift off the residue. Then follow with gentle cleaning with a soft microfibre cloth and a lens cleaning fluid. Always avoid rubbing the surface until you are absolutely sure there is no particulate matter on it!

I've done this many times on camera lenses and - using different solutions from Visible Dust - on camera sensors with good results and, critically, no damage.

Mark

Hi Ian,

I had the same issue on my primary mirror two weeks ago.

I use isopropyl alcohol. It is a very good solvant and dries quickly. It has no side effect on optical surfaces protection so you can use it on you corrector (or mirrors) safely.

You can buy it in a drugstore by small quantites like 20 centilitres for ~10€, or buy a 2 litres bottle on the internet, like I did, for ~20€ !!!

As Mark said, you need to soften the spots to be able to remove them.

I used the following process:

1 put the corrector horizontal so that the solvant will not move away,

2 spray some solvant on the spots,

3 wait a while to leave time for the solvant to do its job,

4 put the corrector vertical to let the solvant go away,

5 dab with a rag while spraying the solvant

6 loop from step 1 until the spots are gone.

Bernard

Edited by RamaSpaceShip

Thanks Mark and Bernard. My main concern was not knowing whether any particular solvents or cleaners could affect the lens coatings.

Mark... Had a look at the Visible Dust site. Are their products available in Australia or did you order direct? A quick google did not find me local suppliers.

Ian