Important fix for USB driver all mounts!

ChristerS

Hi!

Last night I could not connect to my DDM85 using Autoslew, clear sky's of-cause :). Everything worked OK except I got the "Could not connect to controller!" error when starting Autoslew. 

I contacted ASA and got a guide how to fix the problem, they have notices the problem some day ago. Se the attached guide.

The guide solved the problem partly, the guide shows how to downgrade to FTDI driver to version 2.8.14, so followed the guide, mount starts up ok. Then I try restart Autoslew still works. Then I power off and on mount the problem appears again!

Solution is to reinstall with CDM20814_Setup.exe again (see guide). So it looks like windows reinstalls the newer driver, ver 2.12, when I power off/on but it still shows ver. 2.8.14 in device manager. When I reboot the computer device manager shows the new FDDI ver 2.12.

The FTDI is the USB-serial driver Autoslew uses to communicate with the mount. 

So how do we(ASA) prevent windows from reinstalling driver?? I will google to see what I can find out, let me know if anyone find a solution.

I also think this is urgent info for all ASA customer I hope ASA communicate out this information.

The final solution is for ASA to add support for the new FTDI 2.12 release.

Clear skies!

// Christer

Hi,

Ok strange, I attach it again and also as zipped.

Note is that I'm running on Windows 10, perhaps not a problem with older versions.

howto_recover_usb_driver.zip

howto_recover_usb_driver.pdf

If you are andy with a computer here is a link to one way to fool windows to think the older FTDI driver ASA installs is the newest

http://www.rei-labs.net/fixing-the-ftdi-drivers-prevent-auto-updates/

Have not tested yet, perhaps to wait for a solution from ASA

BR,

//Christer

that´s a close one, i am just installing all software on a new win10 computer, luckily, i saw this thread and got a heads up - Thanks Crister!

Is there a way to shut these auto-updates off? It kinda feels like this is not the last time we will se this kind of related errors if win10 starts updating, restarting itself etc.

/Daniel

• 7 months later...

Hi, i don't know if i have gotten this dreadful error but i constantly get Error 43 - The USB device isn't recognized by windows10

​No matter how i try, i constantly getting this error and can't connect to my DDM85.
​I have tried the above guide with no luck... any pointers?

/Daniel

Tried all of the above, no change what so ever... I am rollig back to win7 now :/
I had to many strange errors.
I had just the mount and the keyboard plugged in to my computer, flushed the com-ports, uninstalled all the drivers, reinstalled, new ftdi, the old ftdi, nothing seems to work. i only hope there is no harm with the mount :/

The powersupply is putting out 13.5v (have a lcd voltmeter added to my power distrubution box)

On my ASUS i7 laptop, running  W10. I updated the FTDI driver to the latest version 21216 after deleting the old 208 version...

No problems whatsoever!

Mac... yes, great machines, but no ASCOM... Running a VM windows on a mac seems a bit weird to me.

My ASUS with i7, 16Gb RAM and SSD starts up within 10secs and runs great, I am pleased my old laptop gave up on me so I had to buy a new one and got the best I could affort. I know a laptop like that is a bit overkill, but I use it only for astro and got sick of W7 and 8 problems. 

Also changed all USB cables and my hub into USB3 cables and a 12V Transcend USB3 hub. I am VERY pleased with these changes!!

Makes astro life a lot more pleasing

I use 3 different MeanWell  power supplies for different applications like: one for the mount only, one for the camera(s) only and another one for the other stuff like dewheaters and focusmotors. Everything is set to ± 12.8 Volts under load. No brown outs or powerdrops to the mount or camera when something else kicks in. I use shielded power cables to prevent any interference or induction. Like I said maybe it is all a bit overkill, but I like to be in a perfect position with my equipment. Too many frustrations crossed my path... enough!  You all know that Murphy is the astronomers Patron... 

Waldemar

Edited by Waldemar