Will USB3 Cameras work OK on my DDM60/Pro ???

MikePaling

Question

Hi folks ...

At some point in the future I am thinking of upgrading my current USB2 Mono CCD video camera for a better quality USB3 CMOS Mono camera.

I understand that the hub on my DDM60/Pro is not USB3 capable .... for that matter my laptop only has USB2 ports.

I have always understood that USB3 is "backwards compatible" and should be able to work on a USB2 port .... but a contact of mine seems to suggest that I might have some problems using a USB3 camera with my DDM60/Pro and laptop combo..

Will I be able to use a USB3 camera without any serious problems ... even if data transmission is a bit slower than it could be???

Mike

2 answers to this question

USB3 cameras usually download frames faster with USB3 ports but there should be no functional problems with USB2.

I'm using QHY 163M with USB2 hub with no problems. However, before the driver update the frame download was really slow. Download rates matter when you make skymaps or run autofocusing programs. It's quite irritating to autofocus if the download rate is very slow. CMOS cameras can't be binned on chip...