Help .... Sequence crashed unexpectedly and locked up my computer

MikePaling

Question

Last night, after waiting for almost 3 weeks for a clear sky, I set off Sequence to carry out a run 7 x 1200 sec CLS subs.

After it had finished taking the 5th sub I had to close down my whole system to deal with a minor family problem. I clicked on the "STOP" icon on Sequence and it immediately crashed causing my Laptop to completely lock up. The only way out was to shut down my computer and restart which took some time. 

I must admit that I was VERY concerned that my CCD was warming up too quickly before I could connect back to it using MaximDL ... but after a check my CCD seems to be OK :-) This time anyway!

Does anybody know what caused Sequence to crash like this????

Is it impossible to stop a Sequence run once it has started ? .... or is there a "correct" way of doing it?

I normally operate my system remotely from my house PC after once I have got things going and I have a weather monitor to tell me if there is any cloud or rain detected. In these circumstances I do not go outside constantly to check on weather changes while doing lengthy Sequence runs. I am concerned that problems my may well occur if I detect that some bad weather is coming along and I am unable to stop Sequence, without crashing, and so causing delay in getting my whole system to be closed up quickly and safely without damage.

Any help and suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Mike

2 answers to this question

Mike,

I haven't had that happen to me, but I have had occasion to stop Sequence during a run. It was possible to re-establish things by simply turning off Sequence and TheSkyX, return the scope to Zenith park position, turn on TSX and connect telescope, and sync on a star high near the meridian. Then turn on Sequence and connect and sync and run.

This can be done pretty fast.....

For a disaster like yours, I guess you now know what to do!!:

Leave the DDM and camera power supplies on; turn off all software; Shut down the PC - force it if necessary; re-boot the PC; turn on the system as usual; sync TSX and Sequence on the target and run Sequence......

If you're quick, the sensor is unlikely to be shocked - especially in UK temperatures.

I suspect that the PC lock-up you experienced may be a matter of the particular set up sequence of your system rather than a fundamental problem with any of the software.

Hopefully, someone else can offer you more assistance than this!

Mark