Autoslew frequent crash in windows 11

RoWal

Question

Hi

I am part of a small team using a DDM60 pro and autoslew in a remote obervatory. We have had this setup for 2,5 years now and have har some crashees of autoslew occationaly sin the start. But during the last 12 month the issue of a crashing autoslew has been increasingly frequent. Has some of you noticed similar behaviour?

Our setup is permanetly setup in a remote observatory and user fairly frequent. 

We have had a lot of communication error issues that has been resonably keept at bay via cleaning and applying contact spray, but recently this issue is increasing, getting more frequent harder to mittigate.

We also have issues with stiction in the mount bearings (our percieved root cause;), over 1-3 hours drivning the motor currents up to a point where on or the other motor is turned of, occationally resulting in the sope pointing in strange directions when our imaging software (starkeeper voyager) detects the failure and tries to end session and park the scope...

We have balances, tuned and tried lots of adjustmets to get as perfect conditions as possible, we also have created a parallell software that detects hig currents and send an event to voyager to pause - performs a number of release sleews and the signals voyager to resume - this works most of the times but..

We are now reaching out to all of you owner of a ddm60 (or ddm85) that uses Autoslew,

-have you also had reoccuring crashing issues?

-have you come up with potential solutions/workarounds that mitigate the issues?

-have anybody been in contact with ASA? Is Autoslew/Sequence totally retired products?

-any suggestions to what can be done to Autoslew/Sequence to allow our nice mounts to keep on being able to be used? (maing Autoslew, parts om sequence open source?)

Kind Regards

Roger / Team SDST @ e-eye spain

Edited by RoWal

3 answers to this question

I had regular issues with my DDM60Pro about a year ago .... after much testing, cleaning, etc. I narrowed my problems down to two things ...

(1) I suspected that my HitechAstro hub was playing up .... I replaced it with a new Pegasus Power Box.

(2) I also suspected that the USB hub on the top of the mount was being temperamental .... so I completely bypassed the USB hub on the mount and ran a new longer USB cable from my computer to the new Pegasus Power Box.

I have not had any issues since :-)))))

Mike

On 3/2/2024 at 1:17 PM, MikePaling said:

I had regular issues with my DDM60Pro about a year ago .... after much testing, cleaning, etc. I narrowed my problems down to two things ...

(1) I suspected that my HitechAstro hub was playing up .... I replaced it with a new Pegasus Power Box.

(2) I also suspected that the USB hub on the top of the mount was being temperamental .... so I completely bypassed the USB hub on the mount and ran a new longer USB cable from my computer to the new Pegasus Power Box.

I have not had any issues since :-)))))

Mike

The hole setup is powered via the same  12V 40A powersupply, the mount is connected via the original USB cable from mount to PC - no hub or similar in between..  however, it is interessting that you bought a new, longer USB cable,  When we bought the mount We tried a new USB cable - the new cable did not work. So Mike: What cable did you buy from where? - it might be worth replacing the old cable - the do age... ;)

/R :)