When choosing star for synch, why two drop down lists?

w0mbat

This may be obvious to experienced users but It is not to me. When I choose object/star, for the purpose of synching, there are two drop down lists. Why is this? I have been selecting the same star in both lists. It seems to work but I cannot understand why or if this is necessary. This is one of many missing explanations in the Autoslew documentation.

Regards to all,

Ian

Thanks for replying George. Yes, I have been choosing a star in Autoslew. For some reason I thought that was necessary for the initial synch. My planetarium software is C2A. I know it works properly with Autoslew (through ASCOM) as I have just started trying the "three star same dec" routine for polar alignment. Stars chosen in C2A show up as "ASCOM Object" in Autoslew. Frankly it had never occurred to me to try synchronisation the other way round at start up. These procedures are all totally new to me.

Next clear night I will try to do what you suggest.

Nevertheless I would still be interested to know the answer.

This is one of the reasons I started the thread re the manuals. Just saying "synch to a star" in the manual is a little obscure when one is a total beginner like me.

Regards

Ian

Ian

There are no stupid questions...

I never noticed what you described because, like George, I sync with my planetarium software (Coelix) and never had any problem, so never had to investigate further.

Not answering may also means that someone doesn't know the answer.

Luc

Hi Ian.

Are you going to use "Sequence" to make your pointing files?

Because it was yet another level of software to struggle with I made pointing files the hard way by manually slewing to each star.

After a couple of years I finally bought a full copy of "Pinpoint" and tried Sequence.

I wish I had done so from the start!

A 50 star pointing file takes forever one star at a time, but Sequence sails through the task.

George

Hi George,

So far I am only up to three star pointing files for PA optimisation. I have avoided looking at Sequence for the same reason...just another level of complexity for my 62 year old brain to cope with. I will keep in mind what you have said when I get to large pointing files.

Last night I worked out how to synch by choosing a star in the planetarium program rather than in Autoslew......much easier and quicker. Thanks for helping me realise my misconception. And also to Luc.

Ian

Edited by w0mbat