secrets of successful platesolving via synch?

prefetch

hi all,

i've been using sequence for many months now, and one thing that i've never really gotten to work consistently is the synch function in sequence.

through experimentation i've found that i have to be almost within about 15 minutes of center otherwise synch will fail.

however, if i use pinpoint through maximdl, i can be off by quite a bit.  it seems that pinpoint "tries harder" than sequence.  sequence fails after just a few seconds, whereas pinpoint keeps trying for up to a couple of minutes and many times succeeds after this long.

i've switched catalogs, i've played with the "Expansion %" variable, (which i don't believe actually does anything!!) the 5x5 spiral search option is disabled on sequence.  i've adjusted the Max Magnitude variable - i've increased my exposure time, decreased it (usually 7 seconds seem to get a good amount of stars) but nothing seems to help me get more area coverage for plate solving, unless of course i just use pinpoint from maximdl.

i just don't know what else to do, and since MLPT and sequence fundamentally requires platesolving to actually work through a long exposure, i feel like i'm kind of crippled here.

does anyone else feel like sequence synch is a lot weaker than pinpoint (even though they are supposed to be one in the same) ???  or is it just me??