Star trails, GPS time sync problem.

Simon

Question

Hello!

Yesterday I was have first problem with my ddm60. I was have star trails on images. My setup all the time stay in observatory, there are no changes about polar align, balancing etc. I have the same star trails with 5s and 50s and another exp. On DEC about 0 I have longest star trails, closer to NCP and star trails are shorter. Also during MLPT I was have error "Could not read GPS time". Without MLPT I haven't any error about GPS time sync. During every Autoslew startup I "Sync GPS Time". In Autoslew I have GPS status on green. What's wrong? 

3 answers to this question

Hi Simon,

There are several issues that can cause star trails.

The most likely from your description is from cabling. If you have cables that do not go through the mount, they can make extra effort on the tube in certain positions that can cause start trails. The effect may increase with the cold in winter (if you are in the north hemisphere) as the cables become more and more rigid as the cold increases, and thus the cables have more difficulties to follow the mount movement.

Whatever the issue is, you need to check the mount current logs to see if there is an extra current consumption.

Best regards.

Bernard