Need help with settings in Maxim DL

MichiP

Hello,

for tomorrow night, I have planned to install the new Autoslew. The version I'm currently running is a very old one, 5.0 so I need to make new pointing files. I'd like to use an SBIG ST-9 XE for centering the stars just by clicking at the image in Maxim DL. Can somebody explain me what settings I have to do in maxim DL to make this funktion work? Last time when I was trying to get this feature run, I spend several hours but it doesn't work. Would be great if anybody has time for a description.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Michael

Hello Michael

If you have the full version of PinPoint you can use Sequence 09 to crreate a new Pointing file. This is extremely convenient. Just sync on one star, then let Sequence do the Autopoint images with as many steps as you wish and solve the images for the pointing model. Use the new Autopoint file to calculate the new configuration and autoslew will do the rest. I never used the center function in maxim again since I use this procedure.

clear nights!

Dani

Hi Dani,

I know but there are tow reasons why I need Maxim to center the star. First, I have to do a new polar alighnment and second, I'm using a C14 without mirror lock, so after bigger slews, sometimes it's necesarry to move the star into the right position of the CCD.

For the standard imageing process, I will use PinPoint and Sequence :)

Best regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

As soon as Maxim DL knows the focal length of the telescope and the the pixel size of your camera it will be able to calculate the pixel resolution of your system. When Maxim DL has been setup properly with this information, it will write it into the header of the fit-file every time you make an image. It is also essential that Maxim is connected to your telescope to be able to write the center coordinates of the image into the fit header.

The only step left for you is making a Pinpoint run with your first image and do a calibration ( under the telescope tab of the observatory window). After that centering a star should work. For the rest of the other images you only have to repeat the Pinpoint step, without calibration.

Best regards,

Gerhard

Hi Michael,

Gerhard  is right when he said, you have to do a calibration (observatory - telescope - center on image -calibrate - use pinpoint) after that you can point on every image first with a left, than with a right mouse click and choose "point telescope here".

You don't have to use pinpoint again.

BR Thomas

MIchael,

first check the Autoslew manual (page 20 - English version) regarding "Ignore futher slews in Pointing files" - it should be checked.

Then check the helpfile in Maxim - Telescope tab, the heading is Auto-Center: There are three different ways of calibrating so that Maxim know in which direction and how much to move the mount (the most accurate being a plate solve using pinpoint, but there are two other methods).

And remember to have your mount connected under the Observatory window.

BR
Matts

Hello,

thank you all for your adivices :) I was at my observatory yesterday, but after the visitors left us, the sky decided to become completly cloudy :( So I only installed the new Autoslew version and made the settings as recommend. So I'm waiting for better weather :)

Best regards,

Michael