Power Outlets and USB Outlets on DDM85 Mounts

Manukau

Question

Greetings all,

Have been evaluating extensively for some time now, ASA's DDM60 and 85 series mounts for potential purchase to mount 'scopes I'd like to use in the field, however am very interested in any suggestions from members, or changes by ASA so the mounts will work with the 'scope and accessories I'd like to use. No capacity on these mounts for "through the mount" cabling for USB cables required by CCD cameras, filter wheels, focusers, bar the 1-48v DC and 12v DC options, or for other power supply options.  You only have the option of those two supplies, through internal cabling.

Some more details on the specific kit:

an Officina Stellare RH 250 Veloce, equipped with the Technical Innovations' "Robo-Focus" focus driver requires 12v DC for focuser stepper motor, and R-232 data comms with the Robo-Focus controller - I'd prefer not to have the Robo-Focus controller on the mount itself);

[probably] a Finger Lakes Instrumentation (FLI) Microline 4710 with their CFW-5-7 (both require 12v DC power from AC adaptor supply 'bricks' and separate USB data comms.

If I used a FLI "Atlas" digital focuser in lieu of the Robo- Focus I'd still need a power supply (yet another AC power adaptor' brick, and connection required) and lose the feature of temperature-compensated focusing.

The PC running ASA's Autoslew and Sequence will need to be remote from the mount, so was looking at an Icron Ranger 2304 for extra comms ability, via their local and remote extenders, connected via Cat 5e cabling.  But I need AC power to run the Ranger, then there's the complication of 'Type A' and 'Type B' USB connexions.

And whilst not 'necessary', autoguider input would be a "nice-to-have", so there's another USB port required

My goal is narrowband-UV wide-field astrophotography, with a field-portable set-up - the OS RH 250 will be too heavy for the DDM60.

Some points that will hopefully 'shape' your responses:

Some CCD cameras and telescope accessories need to connect on the mount to ports that are compatible with USB 'Type B' connexions - are those on the DDM60 or 85 compatible, especially if you require a 'downstream' USB extender?  If there are not sufficient number of the correct type (A or B) or otherwise compatible USB mount-port outlets available, i.e. more than 3, how can you establish communications and/or power supply?

As the ASA DDM series are clearly the best-performing telescope mounts available to the amateur astronomy community, very innovative technically, it strikes me as unusual that there appear to be too few choices for potential users.  Most of the high-quality, high-performing mount manufacturers offer "through-the-mount" cabling for power and USB communications, however this innovation is not available for ASA DDM60 and 85 mounts. I appear to be left with limited options as regards equipment choices, or be burdened with cabling 'sphaghetti', with all the safety and system-connectivity issues likely, or inevitable.

I'd really appreciate some advice from the ASA community, or from ASA itself that will give me the equipment options desired - I clearly wish to have ASA performance, but from what I can figure out currently I will sacrifice choice and options.

Thanks for reading my e-mail!

Manukau

New Zealand

2 answers to this question

Hi,

I have the DDM60 Pro with through the mount cabling. I am a new and as yet inexperienced user and so am not qualified to fully answer your questions but a few points occur to me.

1. Could you use an ASA OK3 focuser? This is cabled through the mount using the data cables. Otherwise I am sure the same cables could be used with other brands with some adaptation.

2. There are four wires in the galvanic power cable, again through the mount. This can give two completely separate supplies or, if it is possible to use a common ground then you could have three DC supplies.

3. The in mount USB hub has three type A ports accessible, again cabled through the mount. I believe you can get small type A to type B adapters.

I hope this helps a bit. Beyond this others will need to help you.

Regards

Ian

PS In a few days I am flying to Dunedin to board a ship bound for Antarctica. It will be my first visit to New Zealand!

Hi Manukau

I have a DDM60 Pro but it has the same kind of through the mount cabling adapters than DDM85 ? so I'll try to give you some answers...

• It might look at first that there is a limited amount of cabling-through options but actually there should be more than enough to build all kinds of combinations.
  • If 3 USB connections isn't enough you can buy small hub and get more connection (in either end). Just check out what kind of external USB hubs are available. 
  • You can also find many different kinds of USB cable combinations A-A, A-B, etc. so you don't really need any adapters just buy a right kind of a cable.
  • Power shouldn't be a problem just use a big enough power source. You can split  the DC 12 power to as many instruments you need to. Ask ASA about the difference in those two power connections. 
  • The data cable can be used in variety of combinations. It's a bit of a hassle though because you have to connect (and build) both ends (in the same way) and there are quite a few "strings"
  • Temperature compensated focuser can be built with a sensor (and software) in many different ways. 
Edited by Jay