Old Forum

LucMurphy

I read somewhere that the old yahoo group content would be uploaded to this forum. Does anyone know if this will actually be done and when? There is so much invaluable information in the old forum that it would be sad that it would be lost.

Luc

Hello Luc,

it is not possible to import the yahoo group postings. What we want to do is to manually import all the important postings that are showing problems and their solution.

Please be patient and give us some time to do this.

If there are postings that are a must have to be transferred to this forum, please sent us an email. We will save and upload the postings. If you want to help us you can copy these postings and post it here in a chronological way.

Best regards,

Michael

Hi, Michael,

> "If you want to help us you can copy these postings and post it here in a chronological way."

I, too, thought about methods to keep the information of the previous forum. But if everybody copies postings on his own and independent from you, how can we guarantee that we get it chronological? In other words, if we try to help you this way, don't we cause more damage than doing good?

An alternative posted elsewhere was to collect links in one thread, ideally with a short description. Taking this idea further, an administrator could then create an extra thread which contains these links in a sorted fashion. That may be easier than copying all important postings plus the relevant pre-postings and linked postings that are necessary to understand them. For this to work, an Administrator would have to be able to edit his posting even weeks later, when new links occur. And of course the old forum would have to continue to exist in future. What do you think about this idea?

Best regards,

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

The yahoo group will exist further but without the possibility to write. I'd prefer to get have all important topics from the yahoo group here in this forum, because here you can make a better search and you have all answer in one thread.

What I meant with chronological is this. You take a topic from the yahoo group like "How to use PID" and post it here in the correct board in a correct order of posted answers. Chronolocial refers only on the order of answers not which topic has been started in 2010 and which in 2012 or so.

To make a link list with a short describtion is also a good idea but there is the danger that yahoo could change their linking structure at any time what will mean that no link will work.

Your second idea is very good to cut down interesting topics to the important parts.

Best regards,

Michael

I have no idea whether it works or is any good but this product claims to be able to download Yahoo Groups message threads:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pgoffline.html

Depending upon the format you end up with I guess it should be relatively simple to write a program to parse the files and re-upload them here.

I presume there are other similar products around but I haven't searched for them.

Even if it is better than nothing, I am not convinced that putting interesting Yahoo posts in a forum is the best solution. It lacks the capability of edition (fixes and additions) to be kept up-to-date, and as such, can be misleading if you don't read the full (set of) thread(s).

Could it be possible that ASA set up a wiki (like Wikipedia does, for those who don't know what a wiki is) for this purpose?

It's far more appropriate for this kind of things,as it allows to fully treat a subject in a single web page, with edition capabilities to maintain it up to date.

Regards.

Bernard