NGC 7331 & Stephan's Quintet

tommy_h

Hi

Here's an 2-panel mosaic of NGC 7331 and Stephan's Quintet. 

Taken with the 10" Astrograph and the ASA 2" 1.8 Barlow-Corrector (focal length 1620mm, f/6.8)

Each panel 10h exposure time in 15min subs with a Canon 500D

Mount was a DDM60, unguided

Mount controlling and image acquisition automatically with Sequence Beta (works perfectly)

ngc7331-2013_09_09.jpg

Higher resolution: http://www.distant-lights.at/ngc7331-2013_09_09.htm

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

it is amazing, how much fine details are visible within Stepahn's Quintet. The resolution of the whole image field seems very good.

This is astonishing, considering the subexposure lengths of 15min. Can you give statement, which FWHM in pixels the nonsaturated stars (such with maybe 2000 or 1500 counts of pixel value) have in these subframes ? What is the FWHM shown in Fitswork, for example ?

I am thinking about moving to a single telescope solution for both astrograph use (F/3) and long focal length photography (F/6.8). That's why I ask such questions...

Kind regards,

Martin

Thomas,

these FWHMs of 4.6 to 6.8 px are not that bad, in my opinion. Considering the px size of 4,7µm, FWHMs equal to (linear) 21.6 to 32 µm, which are below 2.8" to 4.1" at 1620mm focal length after a single 15 min exposure.

Furthermore, the good value is well below the specification in matrix spot diagrams of the 2" Barlow Corrector at the 250mm f3.8, available at ASAs website.

The smallest FWHMs I got with 5min exposures were 2.8" with 5,12µm px size (at 1860mm focal length), when seeing was among the best low values of the year (I will post the image here after processing). Still an argument FOR this long focal length instrument.

But the easier focal length selection anytime by using the appropriate corrector at an f3.8 or f4 mirror telescope is a clear advantage, balancing out the comparable resolution of an extra instrument (requiring a complete exchange of the telescope, maybe even at night).

Kind regards

Martin

WIth the imaging conditions described the image is much more meritory. Very nice colours and details, even at 4-6 px FWHM.

Inverted version permits appreciate delicate details into the colour one. Nice job, Thomas.

Congratulations.

Antonio