Dithering????

MarkS

Question

Hi All,

Are you using dithering when imaging? And what amount?

I believe it is important to do this if undersampling, but what about in general?

I am assuming that Sequence works OK in this mode, but I'm interested to know peoples' experience with it.

Mark

12 answers to this question

Hi Mark,

I am always using it, but usually with ACP's ditherig, it is a random value in a random direction = works well for me.

With Sequence, I have the feeling it moves for the amount you tell (like 3 px) every picture it takes and always in the same direction, costing me at the end quite a few pixels of the image...

Hi Mark,

dithering works definitively unguided. But only in the beta version ;)

And for guiding, I actually am thinking going back to guide again :( I struggle way too much to get a precise pointing model, and MLPT only works from within Sequence and not from ACP...

Hi Mark,

I did not see anyone comment regarding Maxim Dl, so here goes. I use dithering through Maxim Dl. If you go to the "Camera Control" window, under "Autosave" (the feature to create a sequence run) you can select dithering via guider or mount. I use "Via Mount" with "2" (pixels).

It works perfectly every time.

Best regards,

John Nemcik

Lukas,

Am I missing something here? I have a feeling that I will be learning something...

Why would one dither on a non-repeatable image series(one that you will stack). In sequence you are moving from position to another position take single shots. You dither, to remove hot pixels during the stacking process.

Is there some other purpose that I am unaware of?

John

John,

I guess we are talking about the Beta version of Sequence :)

In the beta version, there is a function to take images of objects (a bit like in CCD AutoPilot): You say, for example, take images of M51, 8 each in L,R,G,B with 600 seconds each, and dither it :)