Which Planetarium software?

w0mbat

Hello,

I am at the stage of setting up my new DDM60 Pro and learning Autoslew. I have been away from astronomy for many years and have thus set myself a big learning task.

I guess I will need to get a planetarium program soon. I notice The Sky is mentioned in the Autoslew manual. Is this a recommendation to use The Sky? Are other programs as good or better to use with ASA software and hardware? What do experienced members think? I have read about Software Bisque's software not being directly ASCOM compatible. Does this make other options better?

I am happy to take on leaning yet more software but I do not want to learn one package only to discover I would have been better off with another.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I also use Cartes du Ciel (aka SkyChart,  http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/). It is fine as a planetarium software to pilot an ASA mount.

The main question is: what would you do next?

The answer may lead you to other software combining the different functions you need.

In am currently setting up my observatory (I will get my new 16" OTA next week!!), and it is the question to which I will have to answer before the end of this year to go further with my equipment.

And some other questions too....

I noticed that many ASA mount users chose MaximDL, as it is mandatory to use Sequence (ASA tool to automate the build of pointing files).

For this reason, I will probably do eventually the same choice.

Bernard

Hello Ian,

I'm using The Sky since ages. I started with Sky v.3,0 and using also the latest Sky X Prof. If you decide for the Sky from Bisque, I would recommend Sky 6 Prof. because it has a better feeling for a sky chart. But this is only a very personal feeling. The new Sky X has a lot of new features, I think you should compare both versions and make your decision.

Here is a screenshot of Sky X Prof.

skyx.png

This program gives you the possibility to make your own panorama and to use it in your sky chart :)

Here is a screenshot of Sky 6 Prof.

sky6.png

This is the version that I prefer to control my DDM 85

Here is a screenshot of Stellarium 0.11.4

stellarium.png

It is a nice open source and freeware program. That is doing it's job for showing the sky but there are missing a lot of features for prof. use of a scope.

Regarding Card du Ciel, it is a program that is loved by a lot of amateur astronomers. I personally don't like it because it's confusing and complicated to use. Perhaps the last point is just because I never gave the program the time that it needs to become familiar with it.

Best regards,

Michael

Thankyou to eveyone who answered. Thanks particularly to Michael for the screen shots. Frankly, modern astronomy/astrophotography is all so new to me that I am not really sure what I need or want. Probably I should have asked a question more like:-

" Knowing what you know now, if you were starting again, which Planetarium software would you choose, without regard to the cost, to use with an ASA mount.?"

Thanks again,

Ian

Hello Ian,

If I had to start again, I would start with Sky X. It brings a lot of features with it that makes the use of telescope, camera, dome, focuser, filterwheel and camera rotator

much easier. You have very well working software bundle to control them all in one program.

I think it would help if you make a list what you want to do or what you expect to do in the future. Then compare the different software and make your decission.

Best regards,

Michael

" Knowing what you know now, if you were starting again, which Planetarium software would you choose, without regard to the cost, to use with an ASA mount.?"

Thanks again,

Ian

Hello Ian,

I am using C2A (Computer Aided Astronomy)  (http://www.astrosurf.com/c2a/english/as a planetarium software. It looks like TheSky, but is more light to use on a EEE laptop and is freeware... 

I have used previously TheSky 6 and skymap11... and I'm never pleased! There is always a new software to try..

best regads,

Paulo.

• 2 years later...

Hi, i am right now using CdC bit i think that program is to slow when scrolling/zooming in the sky chart.

I am now looking towards going back to Stellarium, is there anyone using that software?

It seems to have happend a lot in the past years with many plugins etc.

/Daniel

Welcome. Yes DDM works with Stelarium with ease. You need to install additional software StellariumScope - This program is free and is used to connect between stelarium and your DDM (it's a link to StellariumScope  http://www.welshdragoncomputing.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=31&Itemid=39 )

Have fun. :)
Regards Wojtek