OK3Z slipping?

lukepower

Hi guys,

finally I got my new 12" astrograph from ASA, where my old OK3Z has been mounted. I never really used that focuser, and am now facing an odd problem: There is some slippage when I reverse directions, to a point that the positions are not repeatable.

I mean: if I focus perfectly at, say, 13.0, then go out of focus to, for example, 12.0, and then run back to 13.0 the image is still way out of focus.

I guess that there are some screws that might need to be tightened, but I found absolutely zero documentation for the focuser (hell, even for the driver it's nowhere to be found). Any hint would be very appreciated :)

Best regards

Lukas

Hi Lukas,

I have the OK3-Z hardware manual (of course, ASA level doc). I should also have its software manual, but I have to do some ASA doc mining to get it.

Please send me your email adress by PM and I will send them to you.

Best regards.

Bernard

PS: I confirm I have both manuals.

Edited by RamaSpaceShip

Hi Lukas,

If it is like the OK3, there is a single allen head screw for adjusting the holding friction. I set this by placing the OTA on a bench with the focuser facing up, loading the camera etc on the focuser (or an equivalent weight) and tightening the screw GENTLY until the focuser can drive the camera and return to the original focus point. The OK3 readout of focus position may not represent the actual focus position unless the friction screw is properly tensioned! Maybe the OK3Z is different???

Mark

• 1 month later...

Update from my side:
I tightened the two screws as depicted in the ASA manuals, but am still experiencing heavy backlash - like, going into focus at 10.00, continuing to 10.20, then moving backwards I need to get to 9.40 to get into focus again - so backlash of about 0.60. Is this normal?

Thanks

Lukas

Lukas,

When I had this problem with the OK3 I found that the bolt needed much more tightening than I expected. I continued to tighten the bolt until the same position was reached from either side - as measured by a digital caliper.

Mark

Hi Lukas,

On the OK3 the bolt has an Allen key head. I didn't measure torque, but the key has good purchase. So I would think I got the bolt a lot tighter than you could with a small screw-bit.

The best test is whether the focuser can actually hold the camera without slipping. I am using the same camera as you so the weight should certainly be no problem for the OK3Z.

Mark