What does this mean?

GeorgeCarey

Question

When I consult the log file I see this. What are the blue lines all about?

Balance Test Speed (degree per sec)=0.2
Balance Test Time before reversal (seconds)=5
13:19:47.483: ...End INI FILE
13:19:47.483: *************************************
13:19:48.824: readInt16 read error  2x. Received error# from ftdxx.dll was 3072
13:19:48.824: Now trying ResetDevice, this returned  0
13:19:48.840: readInt16 after ResetDevice still not working, returned error#  3072
13:19:48.840: Firmware Version Number 0

13:19:48.918: Axis 1 synched to 0.00
13:19:48.980: Axis 2 synched to 0.00

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi George,

I got those errors when thre was a bad connection to the mount. However, this meant that I lost the connection completely (had to power cycle the mount and begin everything again). It might mean that the mount reached it's power output limit and the electronics lost for a moment the connection over USB to the computer... Did you had any problems after these lines in the log?

Hi Lukas,

That error occurred very soon after switch on, before the mount did any slewing. I am having problems with the current in the DEC motor rising to 5 amps. When this happens the mount becomes unresponsive and I have to turn the motors off, move the mount by hand, and then turn motors on. Sometimes the mount then behaves well, other times the problem repeats.

I am also wondering what the latest firmware is? Perhaps the mount fails in reading the firmware version number, and then defaults to zero?

George

Hi George,

well, let's see what ASA says. I had a similar problem and it turned out that the electronics were defective. It sound slike a power surge, maybe on the DEC axis motor, which in turn makes too much noise on the electronics board (ASA told me that there was actually a voltage drop, which disabled for a few moments the FTDI chip connecting the electronics to USB). 

Does the error happen with the scope in a certain position? If yes, it might still be a balancing thing. If not, then I would think something with the electronics or motors is wrong. Considering the 5 amps of the motors it sounds like a possible cause... I am running with 120kg of scope on my 85XL, and I never get over 4amps (but had a hell of a time to get it balanced).

It happens at any position, and I am sure is not a balance issue. I have tried pointing the scope in a certain direction, and then tweaking the balance to perfection.

Also, once the error has occurred at a certain position the mount can then behave perfectly.

HI George,

well, mine had two trips to Austria and back till it worked :P

But hell yes, I completely understand you... Maybe you get it fixed somehow yourself. Another thing I had once: I didn't loose the screw of the DEC axis, resulting in higher than normal currents.

I have always thought that the DEC axis moves more easily in one direction than the other.

The balance tool seems to confirm this. The movement of the yellow and red bars is not the same for both directions.

The top bars seem to struggle to reach maximum.

Does your mount show this?

See this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlVCVl9lCPk

Edited by GeorgeCarey

Well, doesn't seem too bad to me... What you could also try is to limit the speed of the mount and the acceleration. It's located in Autoslew under Drive -> Slew Speed. I have for both axes "Slewingspeed" at 30 and "Acceleration" at 10, because of the weights involved...

I will try that.

I found another strange thing... I set Autoslew to save its logfile.

It seems to handle RA and DEC differently. See the lines in blue:

15:55:18.910: Loaded Ini-File C:\ProgramData\ASA\Autoslew\Autoslew.ini
15:55:18.910: Config not found
15:55:18.910: Pointing-Configuration C:\ProgramData\ASA\Autoslew\39starsSept21_2014.cfg loaded
15:55:18.910: Ini File: C:\ProgramData\ASA\Autoslew\Autoslew.ini
15:55:19.112: Found the following FTDI Decives:
15:55:19.112: ASA Elektronik                                                 
15:55:19.128: FT232R USB UART                                                
15:55:19.128:                                                                
15:55:19.128: QSI 600 Series Camera B                                        
15:55:19.128:
15:55:20.407: CLServo Vers.5.2.0.5:  2 axis init OK
15:55:21.718: To long sleep of main timer, was reset by controltimer
15:55:21.718: AliveProgresscount stopped at 0
15:55:22.154: Welcome Autoslew Vers 5.2.1.2
15:55:45.196: To long sleep of main timer, was reset by controltimer
15:55:45.196: AliveProgresscount stopped at 100
15:56:03.385: Starting homefind
15:56:18.252: RA/AZ calibrated OK !
15:56:33.587: DE/AL calibrated OK !
15:56:33.603: To long sleep of main timer, was reset by controltimer
15:56:33.603: AliveProgresscount stopped at 999
15:58:12.476: Interface setting TargetRightAscension to 5.30 False
15:58:12.476: Interface setting TargetDeclination to 46.01 True

15:58:12.476: Interface SlewToTargetAsynch
15:58:12.476: Starting Slew to RA 05.30h  DE 46.01d  EPOCH 0000
15:59:48.478: Interface setting TargetRightAscension to 5.93 False
15:59:48.478: Interface setting TargetDeclination to 7.40 True

15:59:48.478: Interface SlewToTargetAsynch
15:59:48.478: Starting Slew to RA 05.93h  DE 07.40d  EPOCH 0000

True for DEC and False for RA :wacko:

Edited by GeorgeCarey

Hi Georges,

I looked at your balance video and one thing that is different from my DDM85 is the scale used: 3.3A. I used to reach the optimum balance at a full scale of 0.7A.

Is it specific to the DDM60? In other words, do other users of DDM60 are able to balance using a much lower full scale than 3.3A?

Bernard

I have changed the USB lead and done a fresh install on a new PC.

Unfortunately the error persists.

The DEC motor current dropped to zero (I thought maybe the problem was cured), and then did its usual trick of rising to slowly 3A and then rapidly to 5A.

At this point you cannot slew the mount.

Next option is to try a different power supply...

errorApril6.jpg

Edited by GeorgeCarey

George,

Those currents look very high to me. Since I have only the standard DDM60 I am apparently unable to look at the RA and DE currents separately, but I monitor total DDM60 current draw during tracking - in fact during everything - and when balance is good the TOTAL (ie RA + DE) remains below 1.2A. I start to worry if the total approaches 1.6A.

I am running the ASA10N with STT8300 camera and filter wheel. I know the gear makes a difference, but your numbers do look excessive.

Regards,

Mark

When balancing, my DDM60Pro stays well under 1A on both channels.

It strikes me that while DEC current is going up, RA current is going down in almost the same rate. As soon as it totals 5A, black out occurs. 

Is your power supply limited to 5A (60 W)?  If so that may be a problem.

I use 3 separate power supplies for different applications, so black outs or interferences won't occur.

15 A  for the mount,  10 A for the camera's and 10 A for others like dew heaters.

If you want the wiring schedule, I will of course post it.

Regards,

Waldemar

The power supply is rated at 10A, but I will do some checks to confirm it. I might also hook up an oscilloscope and see if the output is noisy.

I have never considered the RA current + DEC current total. I have hundreds of these graphs and will take a look.

The high current in  my mount does seem an issue. Most people seem to have a total nearer 1A, and that is what the DDM60 is claimed to run at.

No response from ASA yet, but it has been Easter... :)

Waldemar, the total 5A theory seems to be valid.

These lines are in the log file:

Current Limit (A)=5
Current Peak Limit (A)=10
Current Peak Time (s)=3

Perhaps this means that if the current stays at 5A or above for three seconds then something is triggered?

Hi George

I had a similar problem.

I checked the voltage on the power supply
It was 11,8V.
In my power supply was adjustable so I picked up the voltage to 12,60V
Mount works without a problem
Check the voltage.

Best regards Adamo

Hello Adamo,

My voltage was 11.8V. There is a small adjuster in the power supply and I have increased the voltage to 12.7V.

It may be too soon to be sure but the DEC current at the moment is almost steady, only a very small rise. :o  :o  :o 

George

Will it rise any further then 5A if the powersuppply allows??

Basically I think 5A limit is too low for the mount. Maybe a cause could be that the power supply has to work too hard and runs into internal issues, which may cause a voltage drop and hence a current rise.

Trying another PS may provide an answer.

Edited by Waldemar

I set the mount tracking. No calibration loaded so the DEC axis has absolutely nothing to do.

The error occured again at total current 5A.

I note that  in the update report there is this...

Version 5.0.5.3
- problem that RA motor not powered on with Hall Sensors installed after start removed
- all user data now stored at application data folder (instead of program files folder
    please read extra document about where Autoslew now saves which data depending on Windows Version
- removed BUG of Version 5.0.5.2 with DDM85 mounts where Polar Alignment was again inverted (DDM60 mounts where not affected)
- removed Bug where location (if read from GPS) was wrong in sign if Longitude was Westerly.
Version 5.0.5.4
- In Misc Settings you can now find a checkbox "Try to automatic Clear errors". This can be used in robotic telescopes
  where you want to prevent any user interaction. Keep in mind though, that all error messages have a reason that needs some solvage.
- Programmed a procedure to prevent over current stuck and position errors

This does not seem to be working.

error7thApril.jpg

Edited by GeorgeCarey