What does this mean?

GeorgeCarey

Question

When I consult the log file I see this. What are the blue lines all about?

Balance Test Speed (degree per sec)=0.2
Balance Test Time before reversal (seconds)=5
13:19:47.483: ...End INI FILE
13:19:47.483: *************************************
13:19:48.824: readInt16 read error  2x. Received error# from ftdxx.dll was 3072
13:19:48.824: Now trying ResetDevice, this returned  0
13:19:48.840: readInt16 after ResetDevice still not working, returned error#  3072
13:19:48.840: Firmware Version Number 0

13:19:48.918: Axis 1 synched to 0.00
13:19:48.980: Axis 2 synched to 0.00

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Looks good... be aware that the small snap-on connectors can only deliver  3A.  Somewhere in the ASA documentation I read a warning against the use of lab type power equipment, I don't know if this one falls into that category.  I don't know why, either...

Mean Well makes very nice switching power supplies too. Smaller and a lot cheaper.

My existing power supply is a MeanWell. I would be surprised if it is really the problem.

I have sent another email to ASA for help.

http://www.meanwelldirect.co.uk/product/150W-12V-12-5A-High-Reliability-Miniature-Enclosed-Switching-Power-Supply/RS-150-12/default.htm

Edited by GeorgeCarey

Interesting!

I run either from a power supply set at 12.5V, or a 12V battery which does not drop below 12.5V even if running all night.

Some time ago I asked ASA about voltage; their advice was to keep it at or above 12V.

Mark

Hello Adamo,

My voltage was 11.8V. There is a small adjuster in the power supply and I have increased the voltage to 12.7V.

It may be too soon to be sure but the DEC current at the moment is almost steady, only a very small rise. :o  :o  :o 

George

Me enough and works well. :)

Edited by Adamo

I am waiting to hear from ASA. The only option I haven't tried is to power the mount with a12V battery. I charged a big car battery up but the voltage was only 10V so I did not use it.

However, I am almost certain that it is not a power supply problem. The voltage in DEC rises in the same way every time, and is slow and steady. Voltage spikes would tend to produce random errors.

Yesterday I did a trial and got a similar effect in the RA Axis, which is quite rare. It is almost as if the error occurs when the total current hits 5A (limit set in the ini file), and then whichever current is highest runs away to 5A. I will post yesterday's graph later.

I might try altering the 5A limit set in the ini file and see what happens.

Hi George,

From all you have shown, I think it is NOT a power supply problem. As I observed previously, my set-up with the ASA10N never gets anywhere near 3A total - let alone 5A!

I think it's over to ASA.

Regards,

Mark

Hi George,

I think it is aprox.1,5 -2 years ago that I have the same problem as you. The currents in DE rises and end up with a possitioning error.

I send the mount back to ASA and in deed there was something damaged within the DE-axis. In the same step I got the last electronic update. I never got any details about the failure, but I think it will be the best to contact ASA and send the mount to them before you waist your time in searching the failure.

Best regards

Thomas

I am not sure how that would be done. I don't fancy taking anything apart.

No need to take anything apart. Just disconnect from the powersource and connect your Ohm meter over the plus and minus leads.

The value in ohms will be the total resistance of the main electronics in your mount.

If you turn the axes one by one and you see a change in resistance towards sero on your meter, you will know that something is wrong with the internal cabling.

Maybe damaged shielding. Not that you would take it apart to repair or so, but it may satisfy some curiosity and it is a simple measurement.

Of course there can be other causes.

Edited by Waldemar