Upgrading DDM 85 standard to the bent pier

maxmirot

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi max,

you have to consider two things: ASA offers the upgrade to the DDM85-XL version, where they basically change the electronics, the motors, and some mechanical things so that it works only on a bent pier. Thenm they also offer the pier which, in my opinion, is quite expensive.

You could of course alsobuild a pier yourself and put your mount - without much modifications - on it :)

I am hearing to two different stories.  One is the standard will work with a bent pier=Bernard. 

Verses, I need to rebuild the mount to even start=Lukas.

So I need some clarification.

I was hoping that I a user could just add the pier to a standard version.

Might as well sell the mount and start again if you have to rebuild everything. 

It would not be a realistic cost for a upgrade.

I am guessing 5-6K USD plus shipping.

By the way,  you guys guessed it. I am thinking about making my own pier.  Some was hoping for easy path to attach my version of a bent pier.

Max

Hi Max,

ASA can provide a bent pier for the DDM85 standard. It is easy to do, just need to remove a few scews to put off the mount base. Then you have 4 screws on each side to fix on the pier.

What Lukas said is that you can do also an upgrade (expensive) to the DDM85 XL that come with a bent pier.

Attaching a home made pier is easy, I did it. Just drill 8 holes very precisely to match the mount ones.

If you need information about this, don't hesitate to ask me.

Here is what I did, it cost me less than 1k USD:

post-47-0-92010700-1427785548_thumb.jpg

Bernard

The only reason to upgrade to the XL would be if you needed the extra payload. I have the XL with the ASA bent pier. I can confirm that the pier is an exceptionally solid piece of kit - probably more solid than you need for a lighter-weight payload on a standard DDM85 (as well as being expensive).

I don't know if it's absolutely necessary to get an ASA original pier, but it's definitely a master peace of quality. As far as I know, we have the biggest version ever build of this pier and it's working very well. Although it's so big, you can make an exact alignment to north and level it.

asa_sizel.jpg

To get an impression of the size, I'm 1,81m :D