WIN 10 and Autoslew versions etc

w0mbat

Hi everyone,

I am currently very nervously upgrading my observatory laptop to WIN 10 Pro from WIN 7 Pro. I have noticed various reports of some users having no problems and others reporting issues with the latest Autoslew version and also with FTDI drivers being upgraded by Win 10.

Some time has passed so I am wondering what the current opinions are?

Should I stick with my current Autoslew version (5.1.1.6 I think) or try the new one?

Has the FTDI driver issue been solved? If not then what should I do with this? To me it is unwise to turn off updates completely.

Any other tips?

Thank you.

Ian

Hi Ian,

W-10 auto updates third party drivers as well. That is the problem with the FTDI drivers. It can be turned of in advanced update settings, by unchecking a box.

In that way the Windows updates are not interrupted.

I have no problems with W-10 and AS 5.2.1.9

regards,

Waldemar

Hi Ian,

I read about the FTDI driver issue but so far I did not encounter this problem with my Win10 installation (update "on"). I am using the latest version of AS (5.2.1.9) and SEQ (2.0.9) - it works flawlessly in the Win10 surrounding. However I am aware that other users have problems - I am wondering what the difference might be, but so fat I have no idea...

Regards,

Christian

Thanks Waldemar and Christian. Unfortunately I now have an additional problem to solve because the update failed and now win update will not work! A quick look on the web showed that this seems to be a fairly common problem. Also I have used so much of my monthly download allowance doing win10 upgrades on several computers that I can't really afford to download it again this month. I was hoping to be able to resume the download somehow as it had already got to 60% but I have no idea yet if that will be possible.

Ian 

Yes Waldemar, when I upgraded my wife's laptop the download stopped and had to be resumed several times without a problem. I guess something different has happened in this case.

I live in a remote area of Australia where internet is mostly delivered via satellite. I get 20 GB per month. Because the satellite is overloaded with customers you are only permitted to buy I GB extra per month should you run out. The Australian government has paid billions of dollars for two new satellites to fix the situation, The first was launched a couple of months ago and is now going through testing and should be working soon. However this will mean all satellite customers will have to have new dishes and modems installed, fortunately paid for by the government. The new system will have 400 times the capacity of the old one and should deliver speeds of 25 Mb/s down and 5 Mb/s up so we are really waiting to finally have decent reliable internet.

Now I am trying a USB install of WIN 10 someone gave me. I am hoping this will go OK.

Ian

Well I have got it all going again. Win10 had already updated the FTDI drivers. I updated to the Autoslew version on the ASA website and the mount appears to be working normally with the new FTDI driver but only daytime testing as yet. However the OK3 focuser is behaving strangely with crazy position numbers showing while it is moving. When I have worked out what is happening I will start a thread in the focuser section.

Others have mentioned the "latest" Sequence version. Is that the one on the website or does it come from elsewhere? As far as I can tell the one on the ASA site is not new.

Ian

Ian, the link Christer sent you is a beta update. If you want to have acces to the newest beta software, you have to sign up for beta tester.

That also gives you acces to the beta-tester part of the forum. Not a big deal, just some more information.

Regards,

Waldemar

Hi Ian,

Sorry I forgot to tell you the 5.2.2.2 was i the beta section.

About my Autoslew 5.2.1.9+ problem to start on my Win10 seems now been resolved by Dr.Keller, he told me it was a bug in Autoslew/FTDI so this should be fixed in coming 5.2.2.3 release in beta testing right now. So it would be a good idea to joint the beta tester program.

BR,

/Christer

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I got Win 10. Did not ask for it but got it anyway eventhough I always refused the autoupdate.

In anycase, AS doesn't work. I tried the USB backward update as described in "how to recover the usb control". Nothing. Uninstalled AS 5222 to re-install 5219 and 5218 with going through the USB fix. Nothing. And i mean nothing. I am not even getting the error message "could not connect to controller". AS crashes after a fraction of second. I get the same thing if I connected to the mount or not. 

Any suggestion?

Before reverting back to Win 7 I would like to give Win 10 a try because I read that PixInsight in no longer officially supporfting Win7.

Thanks

Luc

Hi Luc,

I also had problem getting AS 5.2.18+ to work so Dr. Keller fixed a working 5.2.2.3 release I think you should try that out, it still may be in beta phase, but that seems all releases be in ;)  I can arrange a download link if you cant find it in the beta forum.

BR,

//Christer

Got it! Believe it or not, it was a "cultural" issue.

The Win 10 that was installed is the French version (even though I had the Win 7 English version) which handle the decimal point with a coma instead of a period. Visual Basic doesn't like. I change the language pack, and everything works perfectly now, including AS 5222.

Thanks to this community for the support.

Luc

• 5 months later...

Got it! Believe it or not, it was a "cultural" issue.

The Win 10 that was installed is the French version (even though I had the Win 7 English version) which handle the decimal point with a coma instead of a period. Visual Basic doesn't like. I change the language pack, and everything works perfectly now, including AS 5222.

Thanks to this community for the support.

Luc

Hello Luc

hi Luke

How did you process to remove this problem with windows 10 in French?

Knowing that I can not put win10 in English?